So you want to know what the secret ingredient is, right? First, can I tell you a secret? I used to HATE tomatoes. I would be that person who would pick the tomatoes off my salad, immediately write off anything with tomatoes on a menu and despise any tomato-based soup and not be into the idea of salsa. I don’t know what happened with my taste buds, but I’m happy to announce I’m a changed woman and love tomatoes now!
You can find fresh tomatoes of various varieties at your local market from the months of May to October. They seasonal gems are a great source of the antioxidant, lycopene, which can be protective against heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium. Along with juicy tomatoes, the secret ingredient I like to throw in my salsa is… sweet peppers! It adds great texture, nutrients and flavor!
Like my other recipes, this salsa recipe is awesome because you can use this as template and add other ingredients in it like jalapeños, corn or black beans. Time to get out in the cool air, shop the local farmers’ market and grab some fresh fall produce because this is one delicious salsa recipe you’ll have to try.
Secret Ingredient Salsa
| Total Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 5-6 cups|
- 2 large tomatoes of your choice, roughly chopped
- 1 small red, orange or yellow bell pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached. Blend in salt and pepper to taste. Pulse more for a smoother texture and less for a more chunky salsa.