Ahh, the warm summertime breeze, friends and family gathered together, and the sizzle of fresh meat and vegetables hitting the grill–there’s nothing quite like it. If you’re looking for an easy and delicious dinner to serve up at your next meal or cookout… you’ve come to the right place.
Chicken, asparagus and lemon are basically a match made in heaven. The all-purpose lemon vinaigrette is incorporated into all parts of the recipe and gives the meal the perfect, light flavor. The great part is any leftover vinaigrette can be saved and used to brighten the flavor of other salads throughout the week!
The lemons and lemon juice not only brighten up the plate but also provides a great source of the antioxidant vitamin C, which helps fight infections, assists with iron absorption and helps make collagen. Normally creamy sauces are loaded with calories and fat but by using Greek yogurt, this sauce is a healthy alternative and packed with protein.
I loved working with Chef Keilen Shigematsu to develop this beautiful salad and truly make it come alive. A delicious, colorful salad makes it easy to add some veggies to your cookout plate. This Grilled Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Salad is sure to be both a family-friendly and crowd-pleasing summer favorite!
Grilled Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Salad with Creamy Feta Sauce
| Total Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4 |
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 large lemons, juiced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (about 2 garlic cloves, finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound asparagus (about 1 bunch), ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- Lemon slices, optional
- To make the lemon vinaigrette, combine lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or mason jar. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the creamy feta sauce, combine ¼ cup of prepared the lemon vinaigrette, feta cheese, greek yogurt, and chives in a food processor. Mix until combined and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Add chicken into a large zip-top bag and pour ½ cup of vinaigrette over. Seal the bag tightly, pressing the bag gently to remove as much excess air as possible. Refrigerate and marinade for 30 minutes up to 3 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat, about 400 degrees. Place asparagus on one side of the grill in an even line. (You can brush asparagus with a little bit of olive oil here if desired but I usually grill it without oil since it is going to be incorporated into the salad.) Toss the asparagus periodically and cook until grill marks appear, about 6 minutes.
- While the asparagus is cooking, remove chicken from bag and place chicken on grill. Grill each side for 4-6 minutes depending on thickness. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, place chicken on a plate under foil and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes to come up an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- If desired, grill lemon slices to serve on the side at the end.
- Toss romaine with creamy feta sauce and grilled asparagus, cut into 2-inch segments. Top with grilled chicken, cut into thin strips. Serve with grilled lemon and any extra vinaigrette, as desired.
*If you end up with extra lemon vinaigrette, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.